Tuesday, January 27, 2009

wild hearts can't be broken


My favorite movie growing up was a sweet "true story" disney flick called Wild Hearts Can't be Broken.  In short, it was about a girl who lost her eye site in the midst of her 20's and how she rose above all odds to achieve her dream of diving horses. A horse lover myself, I related to Sonora in that way.  Part of the movie deals with Sonora's depression and her overcoming her blindness.  At one point her fiance yells at her, saying she can't change her circumstances...that what happened to her just "IS".  It exists,  and there is nothing she do about it.  In the first couple of months of my illness, the words from that scene of the movie often came to my mind.  I knew I had to accept what had happened to me.  It was real, and no matter what, I couldn't change it.  I thought about Sonora, who happened to be a real person, who really lost her vision, yet instead of giving up, she rose to the challenges of life.  I so want to do the same.  No, I didn't lose my vision, but I did lose my sense of balance and my hearing.  God gives us challenges in life to shape us and mold us into the person he wants us to be.  Apparently, he was far from finished with me.  In a way, I suppose, he's actually only begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment